Sunday, August 17, 2008

David Jay and Becker

This was by far a really crazy week for me. It all started with an email and ended with me sitting next to Becker and across from David Jay at 1am for dinner. I already knew that I was going to be lucky to get sleep and it was, so I really don't know what I was thinking. I had family coming into town, my sister-in-law was finding out the sex of her baby and we were all invited ( she lives more than an hour away ), I have two weddings that I am working on, I had a photography seminar and a wedding in Atlanta. That is on top of being a stay at home mom and normal schedule of running my business.

For those of you who live under a rock, David Jay and Becker are by far two of the best wedding photographers in the world. They have not only worked really hard to get where they are, but they devote there free time to teaching other photographer how to be better. I remember the first piece of advice another photographer gave to me when I first started out was " Never Keep Secrets". That is what I love about being a wedding a photographer. We don't treat each other like competition. We treat each other with respect and understand that we are stronger as together than alone. I know that I would not be as good of a photographer if it was not for other photographers pushing me to be better. When I found out David and Becker would be in town, I had to be there. I have learned so much form them over the years and to meet them was amazing. They are just two of the nicest guys and I really want to thank them for taking the time to talk to me and it was really life changing.

David Jay had this really great story that really hit a cord with me, so I am going to share it with you. I think you can apply this to almost anything in your life.

There was a painter sitting on a street corner in Paris and he was painting a picture of a women. Another women walked by and loved the picture. She asked the artist " Can you paint a picture like that of me, I will pay what ever it cost." The artist agreed and the women sat down. When he was done, he showed the women. she said " that is beautiful, how much to I owe you. " the artist said " $5000". The women got very mad and said " How can you charge that, it only took you five minutes. " the man replied " It took my whole life".

The artist was Picasso.

So, I have only slept 10 hours since Thursday night. It was totally worth it. I was also great full that two of my best girlfriends flew in from Atlanta to share this night me. Thanks Lindsey and Micki.


Here are a few of the pictures from that night. Thank you Vania for sending some these great shots.



They even let us on there tour bus. David even tried to show us hoe to play a Justin Timberalke game on his xbox.






3 comments:

Lindsey Turner said...

Dawn,
I still can't believe what happened! I mean, we spent the night with DJ & Becker! I am so glad that it all worked out and we were able to all go together even though we were so tired! It was totally worth every hour of sleep we lost...
Lindsey

Gena McMillan said...

Looks like you had fun! I wish I could have been there!

Paul Retherford said...

Love the post, totally agree with your opinions. Keep up the good work!